Vitamin B6 and Lactation: A Tiny Powerhouse for Breastfeeding Moms
Vitamin B6 has many benefits for breastfeeding moms- we've outlined some of them below.
The Mighty Vitamin B6
- Hormonal Regulation:
- Vitamin B6 plays a crucial role in hormonal regulation, helping balance prolactin levels; and prolactin is the hormone responsible for milk production.
- Mood Support:
- Known for its involvement in neurotransmitter synthesis, B6 contributes to mood regulation. A new baby brings a rollercoaster of emotions as we know!
- Energy Metabolism:
- B6 is involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, providing a subtle yet essential energy boost for moms managing the demands of breastfeeding.
Vitamin B6 and Lactation
- Milk Production Support:
- By aiding in prolactin regulation, vitamin B6 indirectly supports the production of breast milk. Ensuring an adequate intake can contribute to maintaining a healthy milk supply.
- Postpartum Blues:
- The postpartum period can bring about changes in mood. Vitamin B6's role in neurotransmitter synthesis may offer gentle support for mothers experiencing postpartum blues. Remember, be kind to yourself!
- Dietary Sources:
- Include vitamin B6-rich foods in your diet, such as poultry, fish, bananas, avocados, and fortified cereals, to ensure a steady supply of this essential nutrient.
- While dietary sources are preferable, some moms may consider vitamin B6 supplementation under the guidance of a healthcare professional to meet specific needs.
There are so many benefits to B6 and it can be included in your daily intake relatively easily. Let us know if you find it makes a difference!